Thursday, 12 December 2013

The other Woman...

No, no, no! It's not what you think! I just mean we had one lady standing under a lamppost last night, and here's another one, all dressed up with nowhere to go!
So whilst we are making another tag, why don't we have some fun, and flick the imagination switch to ON? First of all, you have to imagine this dress is very blue, only because Thursday's blog is always blue!
Let's take a look at what we need for the Art-tag first:
Large Kasha Claritystamp and her Clarity-mask
Art nouveau Corner
Miniature Letterbox greetings kit and the matching Clarity-masks
For the dress:
Black Archival ink pad
Wysteria fusible fibres and White fusible fibres.
Flat hot travel iron. No steam.
Baking parchment
Scissors
For the background:
Wild Plum Adirondack
Brayer
Blending mat
Length of ribbon. (I stained a piece of wrong colour ribbon with the Wild Plum to get the right colour)
Right. Now let's add some colour! First of all, how about we give her an identity? Use your imagination...
What's her name and how old is she? What year is it?
Where does she live and what's her job? Does she work? Is she married? Happy? Sad?
Here's the back of the tag, by the way. But let's get back to the lovely lady on the other side!
So where do you think she is going, all dressed up like this? Her dress is beautiful, so she is definitely going out somewhere!
Sandwich and iron some Wysteria and White fibres between 2 pieces of baking parchment first.
Then ink up the stamp in black Archival.
Lay the already fused fibre on the inky image, cover it with baking parchment and iron hot. It doesn't hurt Claritystamps at all. While still hot, the fibres are mouldable. Using the lid of a pen, or an embossing tool, mould the back of the dress, especially the pleats in the dress.
Warning! If you emboss the front panel of the dress, she will look like there's a little Henry or Thomas on the way, which could change the direction of her story pretty radically. So it's up to you....

So once you have moulded the outfit to fit your storyline, cut the dress, hat and shoes out.
Maybe the shoes will give us a clue where she's going...
Before you brayer the Wild plum into the background, and flick rain at her, you need to mask the lady and LOVE, so that they stay white.
Here's what I think..
Her name is Evelyn. She is very English. Lives in London. It's the 1920s. Father's a barrister....
She has a fiancé called Thomas, who dotes on her, and she like him well enough. But she has fallen for an American guy who is a friend of her fathers. Trouble is, this chap's married with three kids. Nothing's simple, is it. But one thing's for sure: he's not shooting blanks...
So she's going to the theatre with her parents and Thomas, but she knows that the American - Henry - is going to be there - without the wife. Molly is in the States, on the other side of the world...
So Evelyn has spent all day getting ready for this evening. Hat on, hat off. Hair up, hair down. She's confused, but excited. Happy, but nervous.
And now her Father is calling her to come downstairs. It's time to go! The car is waiting, and so is Thomas..
It just starts to spit with rain as they arrive at the Lyric on Shaftesbury.
And there he is, standing by the box office, waiting. Her parents greet him affectionately, whilst Evelyn stands back, coyly. He turns his attention to her, takes her hand.
He smiles. "Good evening Miss Evelyn," and that deep southern drawl wraps itself around her like a warm velvet cloak...
They walk up the stairs, and just as they are taking their seats in the box, he deftly slips a little box into her hand.
So then what? Come on, what happens next? Over to you, write the rest of the story!
My next Chapter's called Molly! (Aka the poor c*w in America with the 3 kids)
Anyway, I hope you like Evelyn. I think she's lovely. Confused, but lovely, nonetheless.
One day, I will write a book!
Love
Barb xx

53 comments:

  1. I love your story, it's a mix of Downton Abbey and Mr Selfridge, I would love to read that book. Love this stamp, one of my favourites x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great story Barbara, and such an amazing dress. I love this tag and have just popped another stamp onto my wish list. Hope Santa gives me lots of pennies for Christmas (I have a long wishlist).

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stamp and the story, but could I finish writing the story? I don't think so but maybe when Sue and Julie have encouraged me to seriously imbibe on our three days/nights stay at the NEC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, are you implying I must have drunk too much of the good French wine??

      Delete
  4. Lovely Barbara, I have never thought to buy these stamps but I simply love them.
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Story and i guess it will be going on dramatically :-) The tag is wonderdul - I am in a hurry this morning, just had to have a look at your Blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your story. It really brings the stamps to life. I do not have Kasha at the moment, but I do have some of the other ladies, who must have similarly fascinating lives, so I will give that some thought while I become a "lady who lunches" today and tomorrow. It is the ladies from the gym today, and a large family gathering at a local garden centre tomorrow - the diet is really going to take a beating. I agree with Loraine, your story would do justice to Downton, and Evelyn could become Lady Rose, running away with the American band leader, just to spite her controlling mother. If, as I suspect, you are either home already or on the way, make sure you do not undo all the good of your time away, and take plenty of time to enjoy with Mark and Grace and the rest of your family. xx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is beautiful Barbara, as is the story that you have put with her, it brings her to life xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything on my cards has to have a reason to be there but my stories are a bit dull in comparison . Great Blog !! I wonder what the Wife is getting up to in America??? Oh and by the way great Tag! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,
    My dad and brothers are American men and they aren't all cads, lol. Love the stamp and I think when you find free time then you must write a novel, loved the news letter Dave will never look at a red Sharpie the same. You are such a creative story teller. This tag is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tag , love the story and wondering what could be in the box? A pretty little locket with a note to meet him the following evening somewhere!! ,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nooooooooo, I was getting into the story, what is in the box? Love the tag. I have made tags but never used both sides, no idea why! But I now have the miniature letterbox set, so two sided tags...here I come.
    I got your newsletter yesterday, I love the robin stamp, such a lovely size, also the new project sheets. All great, thank you. Sally xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should write a book! I am amazed at the story for one little tag, which is lovely by the way. So do you stamp the fused fibers, then cut them out, paper piecing style, then heat again? You mould before you stick this to the image I take it. It sort of sounded like you lay the hot fibres on your stamped image on the tag then moulded but I don't think you mean that on re-reading and examining the pictures! Sorry to be dumb. Cazzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-fuse the fibres, so they are already a sheet. Then ink up the stamp and lay the fused fibres on to and iron again. This is when you can decide whether to make her have a flat tummy or be 5 months pregnant! By embossing the still hot fibres which are on the stamp. any clearer? X

      Delete
  13. Love the tag :)
    inside the box is a speedball brayer with a note saying you will have much more fun with this in the long run :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fab tag and yes you really should write a book
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous tag. Your story is very good, can't wait to read the rest of it. And no, am sorry but don't think I will be able to finish your story, will spoil it.....Even after a few drinks.

    Laurence xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great tag. I had given the lady the name of Emily from the 1920's and imagined her going to the Dorchester for tea with her Fiancé. However, I really loved your story and hope one day to see you name in print with your own novel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's cheered up my lunchtime sandwich! Love a bit of a forbidden romance story. Now you've got me wondering about how it's all going to end up. Also making me think differently about the stamps - easier to come up with a theme when you've got a little story going.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joanna Sheen has written a fab novel and so should you! Love reading your blog every day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have wetted my appetite now. Perhaps this could become a regular blog item!!!!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...and in the box was the key to his London flat - should she, shouldn't she? Oh what drama for a crafting blog! Loved this tag when you demo'd it on TV - just finished watching the last of the shows yesterday!! Looking forward to the book Barbara - is it on your list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Susan! A key to his pad! I like that! Mmmmm......food for thought....

      Delete
  21. Love the tag and the story. I think that there was a beautiful gold locket in the box with a small picture of Henry inside. She would like to wear it so that he is close to her heart but of course Thomas might see it. Ah well back to the daily routine need to think what to give an ailing hubby for tea. He needs TLC today. Great blog as usual thanks Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do love these fibres - they look so brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. And here was me saying that I would have a go at yesterday's technique with Sasha. Lovely tag, technique and story. I'm really enjoying your blog. Thank you. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely tag, smashing story, maybe when you have some spare time you should finish it! Really enjoying your blog, you never know what to expect.. Joan x

    ReplyDelete
  25. My plan for after Christmas is to get my craft room sorted once and for all (ha ha ha) and give myself a space to have a go at each and every one of the techniques you so generously share with us. xx Maggie PS I love the idea of having a story for each one. That would make a great book all on its own, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Barb,
    Love the effect you achieve with the fusible fibre. Saw you do this on C and C and did have a smile when you showed the one that you had embossed on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  27. During the interval, when her parents were not looking, she slipped away so that she could take a peek inside the enticing box…she could not wait any longer…she secretly hoped it was a ring, one that would mean he would leave his wife and stay with her. So she opened it with trepidation, her heart skipping a beat…inside was a tiny key and attached to it a tag………..

    Hows that Barb?

    Love this blog today..been dying to get home from work to read it!

    Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't realise we could pre-fuse the fibres - using the fibres will be a lot more enjoyable now I know that trick, thank you for sharing. She is my favourite Claritystamp lady. Her name is Millie, will have to think up a story or try to come up with an ending to yours lol!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Barbara I can't wait for that book!! I love your style of writing, you certainly know how to 'hook' the reader. I really couldn't match your creative talent to finish the story effectively.
    Love the tag, I have a riser, stamp and fibres, just need the time to 'play'-can't wait!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do love your sense of humour Barbara are you sure you aren't a yorkshire woman? The inspiration for the tag is wonderful as well and she really is a beautiful lady when you have finished dressing her and putting her in a lovely setting x

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Back in London, Evelyn's not impressed with Henry's box or what was in it - Henry has so misjudged her. Evelyn can't hide her disappointment (hands on hips) and Henry is left deflated! Evelyn says goodbye to Henry and returns to Thomas who later that evening hands her flight tickets for a surprise weekend in Paris. O dear Henry is left with nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. There. You see! Ever let the fancy roam....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful tag - love the texture and shimmer of the fibre, perfect for her dress! I didn't realise that Evelyn had such an exciting backstory :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. love the story and love the tag xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loving the extra story lines!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. great tag and looked awesome on telly. this blog is an enticing read and i did mention before that you should consider writing a book ..... xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great blog again, love the story...... can't wait to hear what happens next. You definitely should write that book.,, Looking forward to tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  39. Think that you'd best shape those fibres and make her 5 months pregnant in the next tag, the way these stories are going. This is such an entertaining blog. Thanks everyone x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Think that you'd best shape those fibres and make her 5 months pregnant in the next tag, the way these stories are going. This is such an entertaining blog. Thanks everyone x

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm too tired to read all of this tonight so will catch up later today! I'll dream up a chapter (if only!). Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm too tired to read all of this tonight so will catch up later today! I'll dream up a chapter (if only!). Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your tag really came to life with that intriguing story.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Barb, wow what an imagination you have, can just imagine what a book by you would turn out like. Love the tag. Have all sorts of endings running through my head now. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh I am so glad to read this blog, I have just got some fusable fibres for the first time so this is really helpful, thank you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind messages and I hope you get inspiration from my ramblings.

Barb x