When I started working with the Gelli Plate, it took a little while to get to grips with this new printing process. But little by little, I have worked out drying times with acrylic paints, layering up different colours, using stencils and masks to get depth and contrast.
Here's one I did recently, on telly, but we ran out of time! Let me talk you through it slowly:
- Place an 8x10 Gelli Plate on a sheet of the 8.5 x 11 Gelli Card. It's just good white card, cut to fit the Gelli Plate.
- Spread a layer of Pistachio Daler Rowney System 3 Acrylic Paint over the Gelli Plate with a Brayer.
- Add some cut out hoops and circles from the Double Bubble Clarity Stencil "Spare bits", which come in the bag! I cut mine up with scissors.
- Leave these masks and bits on the plate when you pull the first print. This will give you a complete block.
- Line up the card you want to print on with the card underneath the Gelli Plate. This is especially important, if, as is the case here, you are going to add other layers to the same piece.
- Lay card on the wet Plate, rub the back of the card, to transfer the paint, and pull the first print off your Gelli Plate.
- Write T for top at the top of the back of your piece and set to one side.
- Spread a layer of Coeruleum Blue Daler Rowney System 3 Acrylic Paint over the Gelli Plate.
- Add the cut out hoops and circles in different places.
- Place the first print on the blue Gelli and pull the second layer.
- Now add open Acrylic Magenta. Open paint means it will dry more slowly. You can either slow down the Daler Rowney Process Magenta drying time by adding slow drying gel medium, or you can use an already open acrylic paint, like the Golden brand. (expensive, but good).
- Place the Ocean Swirl Stencil on the wet Magenta (I cut my stencil up!).
- Add a few of the same hoops and circles here and there.
- Lay a piece of bubble wrap over the lot and press that pattern into place, too. Lift it off.
- Leave the stencil pieces on the plate when you pull the 3rd layer.
- I LOVE THIS PIECE OF ART WORK!!!
- The Open acrylic will easily allow you to take a fabulous pink Ghost Print, too!
|Triple-Layer Ocean Swirl Print|
I have been crafting and making cards for over 20 years.
I have NEVER considered myself to be an Artist, just a crafter.
Now, when I use the Gelli Plate, I often pull a print and then smile to myself.
Because for the first time ever, I feel like a real artist.
A REAL ARTIST. It's a good feeling.